This recipe for Shrimp and Mango Appetizers with Cilantro-Chile Sauce is so full of flavor and color it’s guaranteed to impress your guests!
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
For Cilantro-Chile Sauce
- 2 cups packed fresh cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped and some extra non chopped for garnish
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped seeded fresh serrano chile
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped seeded fresh poblano chile
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, mayonnaise, serrano, poblano, orange juice, kosher salt, and 1/3 cup oil in a food processor. Process until mostly smooth with flecks of cilantro still visible, about 20 seconds. Transfer to a medium bowl; cover and chill until needed.
- Mix together the garlic, chipotle peppers, lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, cilantro, kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Stir in the shrimp, and mix well to thoroughly coat. Marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat large pan over medium-high heat with oil. When oil is hot remove the shrimp from the marinade, and cook until the shrimp turns pink and opaque in the center, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside and allow to cool a few minutes.
- Cut each shrimp into 3 pieces and mix with diced mango.
- Distribute mixture into 6 martini glasses and garnish with a sprig of cilantro.
- Pour some cilantro-chile sauce over each glass before serving or serve sauce on side for guests to pour. Save the rest for another use.
If you want to save time in preparation, the cilantro-chile sauce can be made up to 3 days in advance, covered, and stored in refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes